I thought this was good enough to share for beginners.
Notice that the basic Salsa figure only has 6 steps but it’s an 8 beat count.
- Step forward with the left foot
- Step back (same place) with the right foot
- Bring left foot together next to right foot (you are now in the same place where you started)
- Pause – enjoy the beat and don’t step
- Step back with the right foot
- Step forward (same place) with the left foot
- Bring right foot together next to left foot (you are now in the same place again)
- Pause – enjoy the beat and repeat (go back to step 1)
Think of your feet together as home base and you only step out of it on the 1st (forward with the left foot) and on the 5th step (back with the right foot). 2nd+3rd and 6th+7th are stepped in place (home base).